04 Oct Paleo Pumpkin Turkey Bake
Creamy and hearty this paleo pumpkin turkey bake packs a healthy punch of the flavors of fall.
· 2 Tbsp Ghee
· 1 whole Vidalia Onion, diced
· 2 whole Carrots, diced
· 5 cloves Garlic, minced
· 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
· 32 oz Pumpkin Puree
· 1/2 cup Basil, fresh, chopped
· 1 whole Bay Leaf
· 1 tsp Parsley, dried
· 1 tsp Rosemary, dried
· 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
· 1/2 tsp Nutmeg, ground
· 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
· 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt, + more to taste
· 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, + more to taste
· 1 lb Ground Turkey
· 1/2 cup Coconut Cream
· 3 cup Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
· 1 whole Baked Spaghetti Squash cooked and shredded
1. Prepare the sauce by heating ghee in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, carrots, & garlic until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and pumpkin and stir until well combined. Add bay leaf, basil, parsley, nutmeg, cayenne, salt & pepper. Mix well.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The longer you let it cook the better the flavor will be.
4. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf. If the sauce is too acidic add 1TBS of ghee or butter until the flavor rounds out.
5. Process sauce using an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender. Reserve 2.5 cups of sauce for the bake, save the rest for later.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. In a large skillet brown ground turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. While the turkey is browning, add coconut cream to the reserved sauce and mix well.
9. When turkey is done combine turkey, sauce, spinach and spaghetti squash. Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Make sure you prepare your spaghetti squash. You can cook it in an instant pot with one cup of water for 20 minutes on manual or bake it in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the squash can be easily pierced with a fork. Also note that the sauce will make a large batch, either cut the sauce ingredients in half or save some for later.